Saturday, November 1, 2014

STUDY: More Korra Sketches + Kyu Bum Lee ToonBoom Tutorials

For today's sketch session in ToonBoom I created a custom brush with some texture settings and opacity. This is starting to feel exactly like sketching in Photoshop. To continue the trend this week I used Korra as an excuse to practice drawing with the brushes, but if you look at my sketches you'll see that I don't "copy" what is on the screen. I approach my sketches like a gesture drawing from a live model.

For example in the third sketch from the left, I tried to draw the eyes like the character on screen..but it fails miserably and doesn't capture the expression of the character...this is because is was more concerned with the actual shapes and not with the attitude/gesture...I suck at drawing expressions which is why I mostly drew faces here.


I also wanted to share some great ToonBoom tutorials by Kyu Bum Lee, my friend Des (check out his work HERE and HERE) recommended them to me and so far it's the best out there! Though it's got to be said that the tutorials on the ToonBoom site are also really great!


Next week is going to be a sink or swim week for me, but luckily I have a holiday break to L.A waiting for me at the end of the month, so I'm ready to give it 200%. To quote one of my spirituals mentors " Keep on keeping on! - Mel Milton"

No comments:

Post a Comment